View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #32
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Since I'm on a roll here I guess I'll also introduce the newest member of my collection and my new beater car, the purple turd! The car started as a free shell that I got in a trade for one of my old exhausts. It was a mess when I got it, there was no interior, it had one 5 lug hub, and someone had hacked up all the wiring trying to do a shitty wire tuck. I probably should have passed up the trade but who can say no to a free shell? Especially when you have two other 240 projects that still require a bunch of work and time.

What it looked like when I got it

I was originally going to just part it out but I realized I had pretty much everything I needed to get it running. 100 Drifters was coming up in 2 weeks so I decided to try to get it together so I could drive in the event. I put new rings in the old single cam from the hatch, paired it with the trans from the blown motor in my coupe and had the car up and running within the week. Fortunately (for me anyway) my friend had just rolled his coupe so after pulling the SR, I took the shell and used it as a parts car to get this one into somewhat drivable condition.

The parts coupe

I threw the interior and coils from the parts coupe onto the new car and got it looking halfway decent. I also put the squares from my hatch on it since I have more baller wheels in the works for that car. Here's how the car looked 10 days after I got it (we busted ass to get this thing ready in time for 100 DOD).

Really crappy engine bay pic

Since I hate flat black and the car was kind of embarrassing to drive, I decided to take it to MAACO since they were offering their $250 paint special. I wanted something different but still a OEM color so I had it sprayed Lavender Frost Metallic (Nissan LG1). It came out surprisingly good and I'm stoked on the color. Here's some pics my friend took on the way back from paint.

After paint I did the single best thing that I could have done to the car and removed all the fanboy stickers from the previous owner.

The car needed brakes really bad so I got some zinc plated rotors and pads for cheap and put them on.

Got the car aligned and ready for the event.

Put in the interior from the rolled shell and a ebay steering wheel. Also installed some gauges and moved my bride seat over to it.

Up until now everything was going awesome, the car was about done and it looked like I was going to have something to drive at 100 DOD but after I welded the diff and took it for a test drive the day before the event, it started to develop really bad fuel cut issue when taking left turns. Turned out to be a faulty wire leading to the fuel pump relay caused by the previous owners wire tuck attempt but I found out too late and had to sit out at 100 Drifters.

At this point I debated selling the car for a while but after I got the fueling issue sorted, I figured I might as well keep it for a bit longer and bought some parts to make it into a decent car. I actually just finished installing some DNA motoring suspension arms today that I got in the Zilvia special last week. They're cheap and are standard ebay type arms but will work fine for the purpose of this car.

Arms installed

From here I just need to install my new steering rack and energy rack bushings and this car will be pretty much complete. I'm into it for slightly less then $2000 total right now, which I don't think is too bad at all haha.

As always feel free to let me know what you think of any of my projects. Good or bad I don't care any feed back is welcome!

Last edited by Rustys14; 02-16-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote