View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #6120
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Def doesn't have much good to say about that kit, and since he designs parts for our cars pretty regularly and is actually an engineer, I trust his judgement.
I hate to rag on somebody's kit that they obviously spent a lot of time on, but I think they missed some of the obvious loading of some of the suspension parts.

The spindle/upright is primarily loaded in bending across its whole length (strut pulling one way, bearing pulling/bending another way, ball joint pulling the same way as the strut). They went with thin material that's really lightened for cost reasons, but I think you'd find that it has quite a bit less bending rigidity than the stock upright/knuckle. There are some more things I'm not super excited about with the kit, but I'll leave it at that. Although it might be fine for someone just drifting on tiny tires and never planning to really load up the suspension. Hard to say without more detailed analysis.

I worked with Greg at GKTech and helped him with some of the design criteria of his knuckles/spindles/uprights. It increased the cost, but his design surpasses the stock spindle's stiffness in all loading cases. A lot of people underestimate this, but just a little deflection at the spindle can create huge (like 1 degree plus) alignment changes at the contact patch.