View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #15022
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
So, it will sound like shit...

I'm more of the longest resonator that will fit between the cat and sway bar kind of person.
I suppose if you like your 2.0 - 2.6 to make noises like it's trying to drop the initial tones in a Dub Step bass drop, that would be a good thing. Of course you know the glasspack thing was tongue in cheek too...If you live in the south, there are tons of rednecked pipes on trucks that are nothing but a glasspack.

Tuning an exhaust for power and tone means using the optimal size tubing to begin with. N/A to 2.5L, even with the most aggressive cams and tuning, only make up to ~250hp, not enough to warrant more than 2.5". Any more than that will be too much for the flow that is generated.
Only when an engine is capable of generating over 275hp, stepping up to a 3" system is the way to go, but then tone and tuning still have a lot to do with generated sound. The Moroso SS SpiroFlow muffler has a very nice sound to it, and can also be used as a resonator. It offers better flow, and does not drop the tone as low, but smoothes it out. It doesn't have the FM 'echo', and is actually lighter than other cans. Many of the so called 'race bullets' also make good resonators and if doubled up for rez and muffler are not overly loud like a straight blast pipe