View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
cheekanuble

Trader Rating: (0)
cheekanuble is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes the laws are different in QC. We are the only province to have a 25 year + rule for RHD import car, the rest of Canada is 15 years +. I have sent a message to the SAAQ and they told me the rhd to lhd conversion is legal and can be accepted but it might require an inspection paper from an engineer because it'll be inspected as a modified car. I think the ideas above (complete firewall swap instead of drilling and welding the existing rhd one) actually spare you from doing that because the firewall remains untouched.
Also I asked them about the 25 year rule and yes, any car 25 years old and over that is RHD can be driven as a daily driven car in Quebec. That is all confirmed information.

As for the car now, Im not gonna get a civic. I was making a joke.
I calculated the costs of having a silvia imported to here and it was about 4000$ + the price of the car at the auction, which isn't so bad.

I have found an alternative though. I will buy me a cheap daily driver for the moment, buy me a wrecked 240sx from a scrap yard in USA that is only superficially damaged with its frame and main components rust and damage free.
I will store it in my garage and work on it here and there, fitting a sr20 in it with proper modifications.

That project is much more affordable and interesting as I can use the car as a project and kind of a homework to do while I finish up my school