View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #26
Devil's Savior

Trader Rating: (0)
Devil's Savior is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
If you really are using a viper drivetrain you had better look into what transmission will actually fit without a lot of modification. As far as I know, the only T56 (6-speed manual) that will work in an S-chassis without chopping the hell out of it is one from an F-body. I've heard the CTS-V transmission may fit but I don't believe I've actually ever seen it used before.

Honestly, you need to do a lot more research before you start buying stuff. You have a lot more to worry about than what rear end you will use.
I am doing all the research I can. I really haven't bought much for the car as I want to make sure what I get will work. The only reason I am worried about the rear end right now, is I have nothing there, and will be moving soon, so need to get wheels on it to put in on a trailer. The car is currently sitting on 4 jack stands. Why buy something that wont work with what I want to move it, then have to turn around, sell it and get the right stuff the second time, when I can get the right thing the first time, and save time/money?

I do not see why I could not "tub out" where the tranny could go, then weld/ reinforce that area after widening it. The only reason I am thinking this, is when I owned a 95 Supra I wanted to do a tranny swap in it to make it a manual, and my racing shop owner in Germany said he would have to widen that area. The fit might be a little tight with the seats, but I'm sure I might get enough play out of it to fit. I will have my current body shop look at it, prior to purchase to see if that will be a possibility, or if I will have to find the specific tranny you are talking about. Never got to see how it would have worked as the car was crashed, and I bought a '97 6spd manual with the insurance money, so never had to do the swap.

The car is not going to be used for street use, so not looking to make this thing nice to look at with a ton of buttons. Just the normal functions of on, off, and have room for driver, and a passenger for ride alongs. If I can not have a passenger due to the tranny then so be it.

What exactly is an F-body? When I googled it, all I came up with were the late 90 to early 2000 Firebirds and Camaros.
Devil's Savior is offline   Reply With Quote