View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #106
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
Or drive cars, right? I don't want anyone bipolar or on medication for depression behind the wheel. I would argue that anyone you feel shouldn't own a gun because of mental state should also not own a car or have a drivers license. People that drive 40mph in the fast lane or drive 6 feet from my bumper when I am going 70mph scare the shit out of me...

So now if someone has a brother who is retarded or 'unstable' they will also not be allowed to own a gun? Not sure what you are getting at. The only way I think I could agree with you is to increase penalties for those who indirectly supply a firearm to someone who commits a crime with it. Pending the fact that the firearm was not stored in a safe or something (if the dude drilled a lock to the safe to gain access... well, I don't know what you are supposed to do about that).

This approach of mental stability is a foolish way to solve anything. In statistics you would get an F because you are chasing the outliers while leaving the vast majority of the cases untouched. You want to lower gun violence, tackle the big situation first, example: gang violence. End of discussion. And until a politician actually says that, I will know they remain ignorant, stupid, or are chasing some other agenda.
Not letting mentally unstable people drive cars actually isn't a bad idea. That would prevent a lot of alcoholics from getting drivers licenses. Those who drive without a license and get caught can get locked up. I got an A in stats btw lol. And if you think gang members are mentally stable you get an F in mental health. It's not foolish. It's actually really easy to implement. Just require a mental health check moving forward. And require all registered gun owners to get checked as well.

But it's obvious there are a lot of people on here who do not agree with me and to those of you I say: "I respect your opinion, so please respect mine."

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote