View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #48
Beejis60
BANNED

Trader Rating: (4)
Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHDphil View Post
Only Skylines 100% legal to drive in USA are ones that came in threw Motorex back in the day and will have tag and papers to show it
I just wanna preface this by saying I'm not attempting to offend the OP...

No, the only legal skylines WERE the Motorex R32s and R33s, not R34s... and they are not allowed anymore due to the bad practices of Motorex themselves.

Read this quote from the DOT

Quote:
If you decide to import the vehicle, one potential complicating factor is that the RI who petitioned NHTSA to determine the 1990-1999 model Skyline eligible for importation requested, and was granted, confidentiality with respect to the modifications needed to conform to the vehicle to certain of the standards. As a consequence, that importer (Motorex of Gardena, CA) has claimed a proprietary interest in the modifications covered by the confidentiality grant. This does not preclude other RIs from attempting to modify the vehicle. However, should those importers not gain access to the modifications covered by the grant confidentiality, they will have to demonstrate to the agency, at the time they submit a conformity certification package for a Skyline, that they have made equivalent modifications that permit the vehicle to comply with the standards covered by the confidentiality grant.
Motorex had confidentiality to the list of mods needed, however others could do the mods themselves for the model years listed above if they went through the proper testing to pass EPA and NHTSA guidelines. Since the demise of Motorex, the list of mods are quite public now and are certainly not that hard to do in a driveway. Moreover, R34s were never legal in the US, though the above makes a compelling argument to be allowed.

Now putting this all to rest, this is a beautiful car and I want it badly.... but am hardly rich enough to own