View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilviaKid View Post
yes, put me down because im 5 years younger then you are.

please tell me oh mighty 27 year old, why this movie was the greatest cinematic masterpiece of all time then, but use small words so my pathetic, moronic, little brain can understand.
5 years might as well be a lifetime. I consider it a generational gap that boils down to to a technology divide. When I went to high school there was no Facebook/Myspace. There was no bloging, twittering and nobody had cellphones. Anime was far from mainstream and this thing called Game-Cube was coming out soon!

Maybe I'm generalizing but I am becoming increasingly frustrated with "Gen Facebook" and their constant need of attention, self-gratification and entertainment. They refuse to actually invest themselves into anything and except everything to be laid out.

Video games must be easy and require no learning curve - hell the game is now expected to teach you how to play. Movies must be mega action flicks and retellings of stories we all already know. Forget anything beyond the surface of "OMFG DID YOU SEE THAT ROBOT DESTROY THE OTHER ONE!"

Music feels like its being ever more dominated by a handful of artists and don't get me started on reality TV. Kids expect their cars to fawned over by the internet community even though they cut every corner possible. They dump piles of Chinese garbage parts into their shit boxes using web forum FAQs and walkthroughs and bitch when things break and then expect the internet to tell them exactly how to fix it.

The movie was defiantly a retro throwback. It is reminiscent of films from the 50's and 60's when directors did not have CG effects at their disposal or had to entertain audiences with short attention spans.

More and more films are under 90 minutes while in the past exceeding 120 was not uncommon.

This film invokes memories of Bullet, Vanishing Point, Two Lane Blacktop and countless westerns. There are no one-liner zingers or idiotic Johnny Depp humor scenes. The action happens without warning, is violent, shocking and brief -

The dialog was kept to a minium. We don't need toLISTEN to how much Gosling likes the girl or hear them share stories and favorite foods to know they dig each other. We are able to see it and quickly realize what is going on. The movie is vary visual, and what you need audibly is mainly provided with the fantastic soundtrack.

Eric made a good point, the lack of dialog in some scenes made them too stiff and felt unrealistic, but I feel overall it worked. *SPOILER* When she tells Gosling her husband is coming back - that was perfect - he just stared off ahead.

As for the how Gosling was a bit creepy - *spoiler* well he is a creep!! He clearly has pent up rage as you find out toward the end, your "average" person is not going be a "badass" like that - they would have ran to the cops or tried to get out of town. This guy was wound up way to tight.

The cars - fantastic. Clearly this guy was not baller, so to having him cruising in a Chevelle, GTO or Skyline would be stupid. A clean '73 Malibu was a great sleeper and fit the atmosphere perfectly. The Silk Jacket, driving gloves, glasses, neo-disco music, pink font - MCM/Decco landscape.

So yes, I saw your comments as "wtf this was not gunz blazing, cars exploding sexy girls from end to start!?!!" There is nothing wrong with criticizing the movie (See Eric's comments), but to expect it to be something it was never met to be and then hate it for that is simply stupid. I pointed this out in the very beginning with my comments about "Transporter" and "Fucking one's self".
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote