View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #175
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintoans13 View Post
From the posts that ive read from Broadfield it dont seem like he races his cars so theres not need to worry bout having forged internals. Plus he dont have to worry bout taking it to the maching shop and waiting for ever depending on the machinist for his shit to be done, he gets the crate motor and drops it in....done deal
Correct, I don't want a lot of down time. That's why I'm leaning towards the crate motor. I don't "need" forged anything and the 500whp I can get from the LS3 with nothing much more than a cam, headers and a tune will be sufficient to me. I haven't really had a chance to research building one from a bare block like GSXRJJordan recommended, but I would imagine it would actually be more considering I would want to go a little more "all out" if I'm going to take the time to build it... $2500 heads and all of the other stuff adds up real quick. But I'm starting to research it now to make sure I don't regret it later.

Keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm doing. Just like my SR and the rest of my S13, I learn as I go. My profession is high-end car audio. I also do some custom interior pieces for cars beyond audio... like my clusters etc. But otherwise I just build cars because it's my passion and my hobby. I'm no expert at building cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
I realize you're just beginning on this and probably don't have the details nailed down yet. But have you given any thought to the engine harness and PCM you will be using? GM or stand-alone? If GM, are you going to keep the drive-by-wire system and install the drive-by-wire throttle pedal?

Let us know about your experience with Crate Engine Depot once you purchase the motor.
Yes, I plan to use to the GM engine controller and probably EFI Live. We have arguably the baddest EFI tuner in the country less than 2 hours north of me. Which then of course I will use the DBW throttle/pedal. If I end up going with the crate motor from Crate Engine Depot, you can bet your ass I'll post about the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodangels13 View Post
Broadfield I assume your going with a GM performance parts engine managment and wiring kit? My old man and I used that for our LS2 swaped '69 firebird. I would suggest going that route considering the ease of install, all connectors labeled, no fuss with VATs (oem anti-theft) and the fact it has its own fuse box.
Possibly yes, or just do my own from a OEM harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNISMO314 View Post
why not just buy a camaro or whatever car comes with the LS3 and leave that beautiful 240 with that beautiful motor just the way it is...chevys are still being made and so are the LS motors 240s are not nor are SR20 motors, i think you should keep that car the way it is or just get a diff shell for the ls3
What could possibly be the fun in that!?!

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote