View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Ehh, this article is not only bringing nothing new to the table its full of weak arguments and assumptions. Yeah, we loss some power, but I'm tired of this doomsday scenario the media keeps trying to paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha180sx View Post
We won't be the alpha dog in the western hemisphere forever.
If we are talking strictly economic power and influence, maybe.

Quote:
Even if the U.S. hadn't crashed into a financial crisis, there are demographic, material, and political forces that have been spreading power around the Americas for decades.

Brazil is first among the BRICs (Brazil, Russia, India, and China) -- four economies that are supposed to overtake the six largest Western economies by 2032.
Yeah, welcome to 2006.

Quote:
Mexico is first among the MAVINS (Mexico, Australia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Nigeria, and South Africa) -- six economies we expect to blow away expectations and become leading powers in their regions relatively soon.
Mexico, ha. He can't be serious? I agree with South Africa, but the rest aren't anything surprising.

Quote:
Canada and Venezuela are oil powers of the distant future.
I don't see it being more than what it is now.

Quote:
Peru and Chile are sitting on a fortune of metals and minerals.
Ok, I don't seriously see the problem with the US no longer being top dog in the mining sectors. Those are old and antiquated industries and we have been pushing in other sectors (like Technology). I'm more worried that we aren't producing enough Engineers, Mathematicians, Scientists, etc. which should be our forte.

Quote:
All these countries are cranking up, while America faces plenty of fiscal and demographic problems at home.

Here are Signs the U.S. Is Losing Its Influence In Its Own Backyard:

Our most powerful regional ally--Brazil--refuses to follow our orders on Iran

Hillary Clinton went to Brazil to beg support for sanctions against Iran and came away empty handed. Now the UN is counting on Brazil, which is friendly with America and Iran, to lead nuclear diplomacy.
I agree, Brazil is strong. Big thanks to China for bailing on us and finding a new mooch.

Quote:
The World's Richest Man is now a Mexican, not an American.

For the first time in 16 years, the World's Richest Man is not an American. Carlos Slim, worth $54 billion, is the first Latin American to hold that title and one of many emerging market billionaires to eclipse the U.S.
Big whoop. The guy is worth $53.5 and Bill Gates is as #2 with $53.0 billion. The guy is also 70yrs old whereas Gates is 54.

Quote:
Three years after a US financial crisis, Latin America is again growing rapidly. The U.S.? Not so much...
No shit, Latin American economies all contracted during the 80s and 90s (with the exception of Colombia, guess why). Eventually they where going to grow.

Quote:
Today is quite different. Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico have led a buoyant recovery from the global recession, according to Reuters. The regional economy is expected by the UN to grow 4.3 percent in 2010. If the American consumer remains weak, Latin American exports will move elsewhere.
I already addressed Mexico and Brazil, but IMO Argentina was never able to fully recover from their economic meltdown that happened in the early 00s.

Quote:
Chile produces 300% more copper than America--the former world leader in copper production

America used to lead the world in copper production. We produced 49% of the world's copper in 1929, according to this article from the archives. Today we produced 1.2 million tonnes yearly, compared to 5.4 million tonnes in Chile.

Brazil now produces over four times as much iron ore as the U.S.. We used to lead that industry, too.

America once led the world in iron mining. In 1892 we discovered the world's largest mine at the Great Lakes Mesabi Range. It was a wellspring for America's industrial might and the foundation of the rust belt.

Now we claim reserves at 2,100 mt. Seven countries claim higher reserves, including Brazil at 8,900 mt. We produce only 54 mt yearly, while Brazil produces 250 mt.
Again, why do we need to be top dog in this? We don't have to top in every industry.

Quote:
Canada and Venezuela will pass the U.S. in oil production in the next decade
Maybe, that's only if we don't go through alternate drilling sites.

Quote:
Brazil is now a critical partner for Russia, India, and China

The acronym coined by Goldman Sachs to describe the four key emerging powers has taken on a life of its own. Brazil, Russia, India, and China have held several summits and even discussed making a supranational currency -- that would pull the rug out from the U.S. dollar.
Ha, even the mighty Pound and Euro dropped like a rock. I found it amusing that Europe was criticizing the dollar not to long before their currencies tanked as if they where untouchable. I doubt that a new currency from those countries (especially considering how China loves to devalue their currency) will happen or even be of much threat.

Quote:
What's important here is that global emerging powers have good relations and are inclined to work together. For instance, China just signed major contracts to build factories and a high-speed rail in Brazil.
Yeah, what can I say. China is in bed with Brazil now.

Quote:
Brazil, Canada, and Mexico all invest a greater share of GDP in clean energy

A Pew survey found that Brazil invests 0.37% of its economy in clean energy. Canada invests 0.25% and Mexico invests 0.14%. America is eleventh in the world at 0.13%.
Ehh, that's gonna change anyways. The US is heading in that direction.

Quote:
Hugo Chavez is still in power

The CIA has a notorious history of interventions in Latin America, supposedly targeting Jacobo Arbenz Guzmán, Fidel Castro, Manuel Noriega, Rios Montt, Che Guevara, and many others. But they haven't stopped Hugo Chavez from railing against the United States for years. Clearly America has adopted a more passive regional strategy.
This, as a reason of concern, I find hilarious. Let me tell you why he's still in power, the US thinks he's a clown and don't take him serious. I highly recommend you watch this documentary if you want to know more about the US/Chavez relationship.

Amazon.com: Frontline: The Hugo Chavez Show: Will Lyman, Ofra Bikel: Movies & TV