View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #39
Ghost240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Ghost240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanbonham View Post
I have read through the bazillion or so threads addressing this debate but i have a few other questions and none of the other threads really answered my query.

First, i can't even really find a post addressing this, but it seems that a lot of the motors coming from japan have been beaten to hell in terms of never having their oil changed. Is an rb25det LESS likely to have these problems/treatment than an sr20det cause it's a nicer car?

Anyway,

This fall i get a check for 10k on the button. I'm planning on swapping something into a 240sx, professionally, not myself (cause well, i'm not that good yet and i want AC)

Here is my goal/dilemma

It's a DD, so i need it to start, and ideally keep starting for at least...idk a year, preferably 2.

I want to hit low 12s in the 1/4 mile so that's at a minimum,

310+whp from the RB25det

or

290+whp from a RED TOP s13 SR20det (ideally 300, cause that's the magic number)

Here are my concerns/questions.

Redtop SR20det CONS/concerns:

290whp i know isn't pushing it for the sr20det stock internals IF you got a slightly bigger turbo, injectors, etc. you'd still be pushing out probably 14-17 (guessing) lbs of boost to reach that....that's a lot to ask for an engine to run everyday. IS that a lot?

SR20DET PROS:
Cheap parts, common, etc. shit we all know, ALSO, the s13 swap is simple enough that after i had it professionally done and all the parts in place, i'm more then capable of swapping in a new block if i blow it....so that's kind of nice.

RB25DET Cons/concerns:
Little bit more invasive a swap...that's a big engine, going to have to cut the fire wall etc...If something did break in the rb25, that's harder to find, harder to fix, more expensive. Not so confident i could swap in an rb25...probably could manage i guess....but still a more expensive motor. Biggest concern is really that... If i got an rb25 and something broke...i may be a whole shit more out of luck than if i had the s13. However, if the rb25 is a lot less likely to break...that's kind of worth the risk.

RB25det Pros:
It's a skyline..(had to say it), More importantly, it's a lot closer to that goal of 320 then the redtop is. You could probably put 300rwhp down with just a few bolt ons and stockish boost. Some have argued it's more reliable. Is it?

The most important thing here is reliability! That's what i want most.

Here's the place where i'd be getting the swap done, this is literally all they do pretty much. Both swaps would be the stage 2 for either, take a look at the parts list etc., and tell me what you guys think i should do for my goals.

I've owned both. I had an SR with a T28, FMIC, intake exhaust, blah blah blah....and tuned. It was fun. I wanted 300whp from it and while doing my research gave thought to putting an RB into my car. Looked between the 25 and 26 and chose the 25. And I will say I will never go back from having an RB.

Most RB owners problems stem from an unknown motor with unknown stress on it, hack job wiring, and etc. If you purchase a clip or swap complete do the basic maintence with the motor out of the vehicle. Get the wiring professional done by someone with a STRONG knowledge and understanding of the wiring. Take your time with the install of the motor and check out the conversion kits they offer.

It really boils down to preparation and being willing to pay the cost to do it right the FIRST time. Parts are readily available vie Rawbrokerage, Phase2motortrend and etc. So anyone that tells you, you will have to wait is full of it.

Personally, If i had to do it all over again. I wouldve built my RB from the get go. Then dropped in it. I guarantee you won't regret going RB if you do it right.