View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #65
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsil80wis View Post
instead of buying an s14 motor and dealing with vtc, why not just buy bigger gears for the rear to help with the low end power that your missing (ie. i run 4.40 gears, cody runs 4.6 gears) never any problems with getting the car back into the power range
Final drives would most certainly be more important to me, than worrying about VTC. Mechanical advantage will always win out for me. Sure we lost some total speed in 4th, but my car will do 128/130 topping 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4y0u View Post
every time i talked to him on the phone he is beating the piss out of some car hes driving. its not a 240. man he gets after it every time he can.
Yup! Scott/Martin/Chris are all top notch dudes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j87w View Post
Cody, in the video of the car at the dyno it looks to be burning a lot of oil. Why does it smoke so bad on a fresh build?
The car has no muffler on it, and is very rich. It's sooting like crazy. Also, cheaper camera's will pick up on 'heat' and show it on screen. You see this alot at night too when the IR picks up the heat on brakes/exhaust. Looks like a cloud behind hehe.

And spray out the filter is the recirculation BOV at the end. He's got some sort of foam filter on it, which IMO doesn't filter for shit haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4le View Post
At the end of the day a custom tune is still better. However I will agree that today for the people that live in areas where they cant find a tuner, these 2 are GREAT options. I would have never said something like that 2 years ago!
A custom tune is always best, that is assuming you/the tuner know how to maximize the setup. As before, if I was runnign a race car/race gas it would certainly have a custom tune on it to optimize where I will be. My 'goal' of this comparison was (as you and I agree) is to show how well they work out of the box.

Did this today with my sr20det.

9:1 cp pistons
gt2871r .86 @24psi
e85 only
and NISTUNE
Tuned by yours truly[/quote]

Damn you and your E85! haha I wish that was much more available around here...yeesh! Soon as I saw 24psi I knew there had to be some sort of octane in that puppy. Looks great, now put some cams in her I'm to afraid to crank mine much more, as I don't want her to get addicted to race gas hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4le View Post
the car had to be strapped down better because it was spinning the yokahamas.
THat's crazy with the load. We haven't had much tire spin on the free weights until the 600whp mark on our dynojet...then we gotta use 4 straps or put some ballast in the trunk haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboB15sentra View Post
The bottom line, is that Scott and Clark are both great tuners.
Yep!

Quote:
I've worked with Clark/Jim for almost 10 years, and have helped with testing of new/existing products. If you guys think for a second, that Clark doesn't know what he's doing.. then, you have no clue as to what you're talking about. The guy was building off-road racing engines for Nissan back in the 80's, when most of us were in elementary school. The guy worked with some of the earliest forms of fuel injection, and he/JIM have worked with Nissan, as well as several race teams, on designing engine components, camshafts, etc.. If it weren't for the years of hard work, put in by this company, I'd be willing to bet that the Nissan aftermarket scene wouldn't be half of what it has become. Other tuners that have worked hand in hand with Clark/Jim, are people like Mike Kojima (former Nissan engineer), Rob Cadle (former Garrett Engineer, who designed the GT series from the get-go), and Dave Coleman, to name a few.. These guys know what they are doing.
Thank you for understanding this. All of the above mentioned guys are awesome dudes too. YOu summed it up best, these guys are on the forefront of Nissan tech.

PS: Is Cadle even around still? He's sort of vaniched recently hehe. My buddy actually had a custom turbo setup by him for his b14 back in 2001...we'll call it the 'potato with the ball bearings" man what a perfect little turbo. I would love to buy him dinner for helping make that real 28RS as well...that turbo really changed the scene undoubtedly.

Quote:
The bottom line, is that if you took the same car, on the same dyno, and gave each tuner a turn to try and tune for numbers/smoothness, etc.. you would get identical results. Both are great tuners.. but, Scott/Martin are nowhere near Clark, in terms of camshaft and engine design, as well as overall understanding of EFI, as it relates to factory ECU tuning. That's not an insult to either of those guys.. it's just a fact, and comes with years of hard work/experience.
Again, well said Travis. Thank you for posting here, good to have another person who has had experience working with both and also had nothign but good things to say about them too. Cheers!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote