View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #432
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
I didn't really want to start a big argument in my own thread...

Here's the thing. Like you said, there are compromises to anything.

My point is that if you want your ride height really low (say tucking tire on 18's), and you're hitting your fenderwell, there are only so many ways around it.

Getting higher spring rates is one of them. I am NOT saying that this is ideal or that it's the absolute best solution, but it is a solution.

The whole point of this thread (for me at least) is to be able to have a really low track car with a proper functioning suspension (like a GT class car).
Take a look at the post below yours. THAT is how you slam the car and still maintain acceptable compression travel. The way you are thinking is just not good. You need to change that. What you are talking about is a band-aid, not a solution. I don't see this as an argument at all. An argument has two sides. I do not consider half-assing a bunch of stuff and dealing with the negative side effects a valid "other side" to this "argument", especially since it didn't even fully solve the problem. If you wanna talk about how to half-ass your car together so that it sort of works then you probably shouldn't have ever started this thread in the first place. The compromises you are talking about making are not the kind that you want to have to live with.

EDIT: Beyond what I posted above, your "solution" costs more money then mine as well. You have to go out and buy stiffer springs and/or swaybars to do what you want. I just need some materials, patience, and time to do it my way. I simply do not see the logic behind your reasoning.

EDIT 2: I have been thinking about it some and I think I can see the problem. You're taking the necessary compromises to keep the SUSPENSION from bottoming with limited travel and you are applying them to keeping the TIRE off the fenderwell as if it was the same thing. It isn't the same. The suspension is MEANT to bottom out, that's what bumpstops are for. The tire ISN'T MEANT to bottom out, keeping the tire off the fenderwell is necessary no matter what. That is a safety issue, plain and simple. Keeping the suspension off the bumpstops is something completely separate and far less of a safety issue, more a performance issue. To increase travel in the front of our cars any significant amount you have to modify the fenderwells. If you can't do that you just have to find a way to deal with the limited travel, like what you suggested. If your car is slammed and your tire is 2" off the top of the fenderwell then you only have 2" of travel no matter what you do with the rest of the suspension, other then the wheelwells themselves. You can't change that, but you can at least adjust things so that you aren't tearing up your tires every time your suspension bottoms.

Last edited by racepar1; 02-01-2010 at 06:55 PM..
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote