View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Basically oil will get pulled from the crank case or flung from the crank case on heavy altitude change tracks. I run Laguna and another local track called Thunder where I am going over a really tall hill at top of 3rd.... This vertical G can really slosh the oil in your crank case up to the whole where vac is normally evacuated. With any negative pressure this will suck the oil past the T into a catch can and fill it up in about 2-3 laps.

If you look at the design, it goes from crank case to the valve cover. This design right here is inherent to the valve cover in 2 ways:

The input is 1: Lower than where the oil is being sucks out. 2: Where we placed the top fitting that goes to a catch can has a "built in" oil separator from factor. You just have to look at the valve cover design itself. We drilled holes into this separator to allow more suction from our turbo's to create neg pressure in the head and ultimately in the crank case as everything needs to be sealed.

3: The head has built in drainage for oil. This is normal as the head has gallies to drain oil back into the oil pan from the squirters to lube the cams, so hence its closing the system. No oil should ever get into the can because it flows through these gallies back to the pan....

Hope this answers all questions....
I run Watkins Glen, and Limerock...both with HUGGGGE changes as well. Pocono doesnt' have the huge changes, nor does NJMP, however they have some severe banking...I understand the aspect of oil coming up, but I can't see how it works superior to how I have my setup (not trying to be a dickhead, just trying to learn more, as I'll change in a heartbeat if I can see a reasonable advantage).

Again, that rear port on the block goes to an OEM seperator, which goes the valvecover T, which goes to the catch can, which goes to my intake pipe. On your setup, I see the rear port, dumping into the valve cover, and then a baffled hole on the back half (under that little tray inside the valve cover) going to the catch can...so where yours dumps into the V/C, and then drains back through those holes near the lifters (and the front/rear of the engine), I just stop any oil sucking up at the rear of the motor, with the OE baffled seperator.

I guess what I'm getting at, is welding the fittings any better than using the OE baffled seperator...as our setups are similar aside from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4le View Post
And tagging rumble strips at the apex's can slosh the oil around as well.
I run a IJ Crank scraper (teflon) and baffle as well for issues like this in the actual crank case as well.... Certainly it shakes the car, but your suspension absorbs most of the impact.

In regard to RPM and boost, I totally relate. I've got a 4.6 Final Drive, and a 2871r...I'm always in boost.

FWIW We've run FWD cars for years with catch can setups like mine, without issue. I think the biggest advantage is the OE seperator (which FWD has as well)

Quote:
I also cant believe all of these supposed s13 sr owners act oblovious to the well known sr crank case ventelation issues these motors are plagued with. If they havent experienced the ventelation issues first hand they either dont have much of a build, or they are posers that dont give their car a good work out.
PS: 11 or 12 track days, over 15,000 miles of hell on street, 400 hp...no issues. Now on my original motor I did get a little, but that's because the poor motor was tired.

Quote:
Oh, and I too have a freshly fully built sr that I track/drift with the gt2871R .86 and I too get blow by. My engine was built by a very well known engine builder as well.
I've built over 10 SR's at this point (turbo, n/a, FWD and RWD) and never have issues with cars. As before, I do build my cars fairly tight, but they have no oil consumption issues, have no blow buy, and all still run. Not saying your guy isn't capable, but it seems like something else may be an issue.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote