View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #61
hexdmy

Trader Rating: (0)
hexdmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
i kinda feel like my question doesnt belong in here seeing as how all these super smart tuner dudes are slinging phrases i cant even begin to think what they mean. but real quick if i might be so bold as to inquire here...i went with the power fc djetro on a "race build" and it served its purpose beautifully. however a couple years later i went with a more streetable setup/s13 and was thinking about going with a reflash such as enthalpy or jim wolf. which brings me to the questions...

1. what are the pros/cons of the nistune system compared to a piggyback or more specifically a reflash (such as above mentioned)?
With Nistune, you are able to re-calibrate the factory Nissan ecu. If you are familiar with tuning Nissan ecu's , the investment in tuning time and the end result will be considerably better than what you would get using a piggyback. Piggyback controller modify either the inputs to our outputs from the factory ecu. The problem with this, is that there are often many control stratagys in the factory ecu that you have to work against to achieve the desired results. Sometimes the end result, even in the hands of someone who is a competent tuner, are less than ideal. Some of the more basic piggyback, such as the SAFC, can be downright dangerous. As a simple example, let's say we put bigger injector in a motor with the goal of raising the boost and making more power. If we were to use a SAFC to alter, or skew the signal going to the ecu to effectively lean out the mixture, we are telling the ecu that the engine is under less load than it actual is. The problem with this is generally, the ecu will advance the ignition timing when engine load decreases. I think you can see the issue with this.

Quote:
2. i know absolutely nothing about tuning other then my buddy has a shop that is quite good at it lol...so if i were to purchase the individual license and board, would he be able to tune my car/board as often as i would like? and from what i gather 2 more additional cars correct?
Assuming that he or whoever was doing the tuning, was mindful enough to thoroughly familiarize themselves with the Nissan ecu and the Nistune tuning software, I'm sure that any competent engine calibrator could do a great job. If the person who you are considering is not willing to put the time into what I just mentioned, you may want to use an alternative system (stand alone) that they are familiar with or find someone else who is familiar with Nistune to tune your car.

Quote:
thank you (all parties) in advance for any information provided
-tim
hexdmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links