View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
essforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant future
J30 Hubs ON S14 The How TO (with Pics)

If you own one of the unlucky s14 that are 4 lug,
Read a lot about how the J30 spindles are the same diameter as the s14 so I decided to use my shell as
A mock up to see if a J30 can be used as an alternative to the expensive s14 5 lug
So after a lot of trial and error I think I got it covered .
Why the J30 front hubs instead of the s14, they are abundant at the junk yard and Duh!! Its cheap.
What you Need:
Tools:
32mm, 19mm Socket
chisel or sharp flat head
Grinder/cut off Wheel,
Parts:
2 - J30 front Hubs From any year
2 - 1 5/8” ID washers
1 – Pack of .025” thick 1 3/8” ID, 1 7/8”OD Shims (McMaster-Carr)
(You will use 4 on each side and pack comes with 10)
5 lug Rotors
START
First remove the cap off the hub with a sharp chisel to get to the lock nut

Use the 32mm socket to remove the nut

The J30 hub has an ABS ring on it, that needs to be removed. Use a cut off wheel to cut a notch into the ring and use a flat head to pry it apart and the ring should slide off.

The rear bearing seal is also in the way for the hub to be mounted correctly. Remove the seal with a sharp chisel.

Next the spacer for the rear of the hub has to be mad Needs to be about 1/8” thick I used the 1 5/8” Inner Diameter Washer which was thick enough and cut the outside diameter to 2 ½”. I used a cutoff saw and then grinded the outside round

The reason for the spacer is to make the backspacing of the hub as close to stock as it can be so the brake calipers will bolt on.
Stock

J30

Next place the new washer you made in back of the hub and place on the knuckle.

OR You can do the following!!
UPDATE!
I thaught of a better way to do the rear spacer because it will be harder for others to grind down the washer to make it work.

Here is a pic of what i snagged from the yard
with my hubs! I marked the parts that have to be ground down.

Here is how it looks when its done!

Now you have to grind down the inside edge of the washer to make it sit flush!

Now you can use the rear seal but its just going to be there to keep rocks out wont really be a tight seal but here is were you cut the little plastic flap.

Then do the rest of the steps i did! The hub will feel real tight at first but thats because the real seal is breaking in to the back of the knuckle. be sure to check the hub if its loose and add a shim if you need to..
And you may need to space out your calipers with a washer to clear the rotors.

Then pace the four shims in front of the hub

Place the lock washer in front of the shims and tighten the nut Then torque to specs.

Install brakes and enjoy five Lug.

Last edited by essforteen; 10-04-2009 at 12:04 AM..
essforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links