View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #37
davidrools

Trader Rating: (0)
davidrools is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess I'll chime in on this one too:

I'm having the same problem on my Stance GR+ on a S13. I'm running about 1.25" drop. Symptoms: spring "boing" sound when turning, followed by pulling in that direction.

Attempts: Adding preload didn't help at all. I torqued the top nut dangerously tight and that didn't help at all either.

So then I completely removed the strut assembly from the camber plate/spherical bearing and lubed and moved the spherical bearing as much as possible to try to get it loosened up. That still didn't work.

Tomorrow or Wednesday I'm going to take off the camber plate and try to get that spherical bearing to rotate and do it as much as possible in an attempt to "break in" the bearing so the assembly doesn't have to rotate around the strut body.

A couple observations: the fact that the strut body rotates is bad not only for the damper's seals, but it also tends to loosen the spring perches, as it did on mine. Also, the caster angle changes during steering rotation and you can notice that moving at the spherical bearing, but the rotation doesn't happen. that is kind of odd. Finally, this seems to be a problem isolated to Stance kits that were shipped out within the last month or two, which makes me think they made a bad run of camber plates with spherical bearings that are way too tight/out of spec.
davidrools is offline   Reply With Quote