View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
Gearhead_42
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Gearhead_42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch
for instance, when u turn the steering wheel, where is the coilover supposed to rotate?

Ide imagine it rotates in the ball joint or whatever in the camber plate, but mine is just rotating around the bottom of the spring. The spring perch and lock are locked to the body of the coilover, but the spring doesnt rotate, it stays still and the perch rotates underneath it.

(i just lifted the dust boot, and saw the threaded body of the coilover is rotating around the piston, while the piston stays stationary.)

When i first started getting this sound, i found a thread where someone suggested tightening the top nut on the coilover, which i found was pretty loose, so i tightened it. The sound went away, but now its come back. I cant really tighten the top nut any more cause it wont move. can it be too tight?

Should i perhaps just lube the ball joint or whatever up top?
From my experience, try two things..

First, zip the top nuts a bit tighter with an air impact... you really can't torque those top nuts correctly without something to stop the shaft from turning, so that's the next best thing.

Second, you need some preload on your front springs. Two full turns at a minimum, assuming your stance are threaded like my KTS... just back the lower perch down, run it up snug on the spring by hand, then use the perch spanner to give it two more full turns. The spring should NOT rotate on the perch when turning your wheels...

As far as lube? Not sure, depend on the materials involved... maybe someone with more experience with stance can chime in?
Gearhead_42 is offline   Reply With Quote