Thread: V8 240sx FAQ
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 AM   #215
Kinematics
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Kinematics is making a name for him/her selfKinematics is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808
Now if i wanted to do the most basic swap. I would atleast do the following.

Cam $190-$300
Timing chain (zo6) $80.00
Cromoly pushrods $90.00
Valve springs (dual) $200.00
Titainium retainers $75.00
160 Deg T-stat $50.00
Underdrive pulley $140-280
Belt tensioner $150-200
Clutch $300-$$$$$
ECU tuning software. $500-1800
Why?

How is adding all that crap to an LS1 make it a "most basic" swap? You mean a "most basic" swap with an extra couple grand in unnecessary parts attached for no reason. The cluch, few maintenance items understandable. The cam, pushrods, etc? No wonder people think this swap is so expensive, when you (Zilvia's appointed v8 resource) considers all these extra parts a necessity to any LS1 swap.

Sounds like overkill to me. If an LS1 in an FD with headers and some other minor things nets you high 11s... putting all those extra parts on the motor to make it even FASTER before you've even driven the thing is just making the initial cost even larger and would make the car even scarier. I am sure high 11s is faster than 95% of what all of Zilvia has ever gone in the quarter, and the amount of power a stock LS1 makes is more than enough for road racing, drifting, drag, whatever..

The buttload of torque the LS1 makes also (in my opinion) will be a lot more of a handful in a light S-chassis car. Naturally aspirated 300+hp/tq is a lot different than the same amount of power with a turbo, and the ability to spin the tires in any gear at any speed is definitely not something to tool around with. I can just think of all the idiots who drop the money to get this done and then think they can floor it anywhere they go like anyone can with an SR. There are plenty of videos online of Corvettes, FBodies, etc.. banging 2nd while WOT and just going completely sideways and losing control. I am sure losing control in an S-chassis car wouldn't take much effort at all.

There has also been a lot of talk in this thread regarding the poor oil pickup system. If we have to convert to a GTO oilpan/pickup.. uhh.. hello?! How many GTOs are out there road racing, drifting, etc, without any oil pickup or sump problems? Can't we just leave the motor stock and not nitpick and waste more money over false issues like this? at the very least, get a girdle or baffles for the oil pan. I guess that's the problem with us S-chassis guys, we can't just leave something alone, it has to be modified to the fullest extent possible.

-------------------------------

What is the solution for making an LS1 compatable with stock s-chassis gauges? Will there be any change in the output signal necessary to make the speedometer and tachometer work?

As for the rear end, Ivan with the 9.22sec S14 is on the stock (welded) rear end and axles. So I think replacing those things is just another unnecessary cost seeing as how they will handle a ton of power.

I am a bit skeptical about the marketing of the Hinsen kit. The kit for the FC is less than 400 dollars, but the S14/S13 is over a thousand. The FC even is a custom piece, and not just a modification of the subframe that you have to ship in. I understand costs for research, design, etc.. but considering that a completely custom kit for the FC is 600 dollars cheaper sounds backwards to me.

I am exploring other options beyond the Hinsen kit. I also have access for fabrication, so that will give me an advantage over those who may not. This swap in my opinion can be done for a lot cheaper than some of the quotes listed in this thread so far, and hopefully I will be the one to prove it. A stock LS1 would be more than enough for me and just about everyone else out there considering this swap, and if for whatever reason it isn't, you can always add a 150 shot. I am surprised no one has yet mentioned how much LS1s love the juice. Before any of you say "Hey dumbshit, you can't drift with nitrous," you guys should all think how the fuck you expect to drift and have any sense of control when you have 400ft-lbs of naturally aspirated torque, too.

Hopefully what I have typed up raises some further thought into the LS1 swap.

Last edited by Kinematics; 10-19-2006 at 06:20 AM..
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote