View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #13
hipro
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
hipro is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highboost180SX
Its the coil in the compressor, you can change the compressor but then you have to evac and recharge the system. We switched his out and problem solved. Its the same symptoms, the fuse blows after like 5 minutes of the A/C on.
I just swapped the clutch on an SR compressor last weekend with the compressor mounted in the car, which meant I did not have to evac and recharge the system. However, it probably would have been faster to evac, replace the whole compressor, and then recharge. Since I had a spare SR compressor and had never swapped the magnetic coil, I thought it would be a great learning experience. It took about 4 hours, start to finish, because of not having the right size gear puller. You need one that is very small to be able to connect to three pull points on the armature plate so as to separate it from the pulley rotor without damaging/warping, or else you could have serious vibration issues. Plus, you need deep/long throated snap ring pliers to reach inside the recessed area of the pulley rotor to remove the snap ring. Once removed, I tested both coils... you could definitely tell the good one from the bad because of a strong magnetic pull vs. no pull at all.
hipro is offline   Reply With Quote