|08-23-2005, 10:41 AM||#1|
Got my new drivetrain and mounting parts in!
This'll be my mini-review/first impressions since I just got my car back.
Relevent info, car before:
-1997 SE, automatic swapped to manual transmission with a '97 transmission
-Clutchnet kevlar clutch (their cheapest one, whatever its called)
-resurfaced stock flywheel (unknown mileage)
-possible broken engine mount
Stuff that went on the car:
- Urethane Engine Mounts (drift freaq group buy)
- NISMO tranny mount
- RPS Sport Street clutch (www.splparts.com)
- Fidanza Flywheel (ebay, speed solutions inc)
First things I noticed:
- My shifter was sitting higher than before. I am using a 20th Anniversary Maxima shift knob, and it wasn't tall at all with the stock tranny mount. Now it's a good half inch-to- one inch higher. Felt weird.
- clutch engagement point was way higher.
- REVS were super quick compared to the stock flywheel (11lbs vs over 20, i think)
After driving home (freeway)
- No more vibrating/shaking shifter on idle or high speeds
- Vibration/shaking reduced on lift throttle during 4th/5th gear around 40-60mph.
- More noise transmitted through the shifter tunnel to cabin. I am missing the metal ring that goes around the inner shift boot beneath the shifter trim/main boot, so that might have to do with it, although it wasn't this bad before.
-Shifter effort was almost nil. Before I could definitely feel resistance, but longer throw (logically, now that I think about it...), is totally smooth and effortless. Kinda need
- Whine from engine on start up and 1st gear. I think it's the flywheel.
- Flucuating revs on startup. It was really cold this morning, so that could have been part of it, but the revs held at 1.5-ish K for a bit, drops down, revs go up a bit quickly, then back down. Normally it doesn't stay that high.
Is this wierd?
Very happy with the car now, feels like it would be totally more fun to drive. I may need to add a short shifter (gonna try my friend's C's shifter some time), and i need to find that ring that goes around the inner shift boot to reduce noise, it's annoying with people in the car to explain that its perfectly normal...
Engine used to shake, and now it doesn't. Much relieved.
I'm still breakin in the clutch, i already put 100 miles on it taking it home from SF (to Davis) and going to work this morning (Davis-Sac). I'll have it done in about another week and a half.
Clutch engagement took timet o get used to, i may adjust it later, and the quicker revs needed adjustment to my heel-toe, but it's pretty smooth now.
The pedal is FAAAAAAAAAAR lighter now than before; I have NEVER had a stock clutch so I have no comparison, but it's significantly less work in traffic. RPS = awesomness
Now, if only my suspension stuff would come in...
Anyone else have a Fidanza?
Remove these by purchasing a Premium Membership with Zilvia.net!
|08-23-2005, 11:07 AM||#2|
i had a fidanza on my ka. it made the car sound like a moped. haha. well at least it sounded like it on a pick up was kinda sweet sounds lol. but yea, i stoped seeing the benefits of having a lighter flywheel within like an hour. good mod, but i think better ways to spend 300 bux
|08-23-2005, 11:17 AM||#3|
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: here i am, rock you like a hurricane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
would i get it again, probably, but it would be one of the last things that i do
but im glad you like all the new parts, and im really thinking about getting an engine damper w/ the tranny mounts (i think that the other motor mounts might be too harsh for me)
IMG exceeds forum limit of 150kb
|08-23-2005, 11:22 AM||#4|
The ones I got are urethane w/ metal plate molded in them; see drift freaq's groupbuy.
Other brands make solid metal ones I believe (cusco, nismo?)
Anyone also get that wierd rpm fluctuation on startup and idle?
|08-24-2005, 01:05 PM||#5|
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bay Area
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nismo motor mounts aren't solid. Theyr rubber.
I have Cuscos on my car. Kazamas are identical. You can also make your own with window weld (brown/tan not the white) for a lot cheaper.
My review forum